Mr. Paul Hughes (in photo -- original a ferrotype [tintype]) submitted 20 bread checks (small coins) in the current courthouse cornerstone that was dedicated 5 May 1875. This cornerstone box was recovered on 13 November 1986.
Photo in cornerstone
The bread checks were given as change for the purchase of groceries so the customer would frequent the store again when shopping. The check would purchase one loaf of bread -- only at Hughes Grocery. Hughes owned $9,000.00 worth of real estate in the 1870 census, and his personal estate was valued at $3,000.