Monday, September 23, 2013

Local Poet ... Mary Campbell Crane

Mary Campbell Crane was born in May of 1867 in Crawfordsville to Professor John Lyle Campbell and Mary Ellen (Johnston) Campbell, and in 1896 married Ben Crane (who took over Lew Wallace's law practice with George D. Hurley when Wallace became governor of the New Mexico Territory, 1878-1881).  Mary Crane wrote a book of poems that we have shelved in the local author section (Reference, 2nd floor).   Mary was a true "Crawfordsvillian" and lived here until her passing in 1943.  Thus, her poem The Little Town, is presumably about Montgomery County's seat.

 The Little Town
The little town I live in
Has a hold upon my heart
Which I can't explain, and to understand
You must be of it a part.
O little town, O little town,
Though far away I go, 
I'll always come home again to you
Because I love you so.
Published posthumously in 1945

No comments:

Post a Comment