Monday, January 11, 2016

192 Year Old Letter

This letter was written to Martha McClure by Eliza Ann Ristine. ~ January 6, 1824 ~ Not only was Montgomery County newly established, from the description in the letter it is understood that Ms. Ristine was new to the area. Interestingly, 1824 was also the year John Remley arrived in Montgomery County.

The letter reads: Dear School Mate, I take this opportunity of corresponding with you by letter as that is the only medium by which we can converse together for a long time. I should feel very well satisfied here but some of my companions here from that country but feel somewhat lonesome notwithstanding now live in town there is a great forest of timber all around us but the situation of the place is pleasant to be no more improved than what it is at this time. I should be very glad to hear from you and I want you to write to me by Father as he will be in that country for sometime. We have no school here of any description and not much prospect of one for some time there has been about seven families settled in this place since we got here we had a very pleasant journey all the way out and nothing happened to us that was very difficult we camped out every night after we left I want you to remember me to all my companions that thinks proper to inquire after me I remain your loving companion. (Transcribed as written.)

The letter was discovered in a safe at the Madison Presbyterian Church in 2015, and was given to the Montgomery County Historical Society. 


The envelope reads: Miss Martha McClure, Madison Indiana. The name May or Mary Elizabeth Bird is also written on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment